Tuesday, July 31, 2012

{In My Closet} The Quest for Blue Ballet Flats

I made it back to Oslo with all my loot, and I am looking forward to breaking out my new found loves in my "other" home. I get the question sometimes where I call home. I have spent most of my life in the US, but my time in Oslo is catching up to my years lived in the US.  My response has always been home is where my parents are. However, it is hard to not call Oslo home as it is in Oslo where I have my love, my dog, my apartment, my job, in addition to the friends that I made here. That was a digression from the main topic of this post. This post is supposed to be about my quest to find deep, bright blue ballet flats!

I recently purchased the J. Crew Cece Ballet Flats in byzantine blue in my usual size, and I had high expectations as these shoes had it all: The right color, good reviews, and the built-in heel so that they are not complete flat. I received them, tried them and loved them...until I stood up. I do not have wide feet, although they are not super narrow. However, my feet were sort of spilling out of the flats. The side of the shoes are not deep enough, so that when I stand up, the shoes stretch and do not wrap my feet comfortably. The flats were also a bit shallow in the front, and I really do not like to see the lines of my toes in shoes. Sadly, I had to return them.

It was my last few hours before my flight, and I stopped in Nordstrom on my way to return the Cece Ballet Flats. I had already done enough damage at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, but what kind of shoe-a-holic would I be if I did not at least walk by the shoe department? I am SO glad I did, because I found the Sam Edelman Felicia Flat in mazarine blue suede! Although I like the byzantine blue color better, the mazarine blue is a really close second. The fit is much better and they are also very comfortable. I would have loved them more if they had an half inch built in heel, but lets not get too picky here. I had a $20 Nordstrom Note, so the shoes came out to be just at $70. I left a review for the Sam Edelman.

Here are some pictures for comparison. Apologies for the difference in lighting. It is much brighter here in Oslo compared to New Jersey.



The quest was successfully completed!

Have others better experiences with Cece Ballet Flats? I never owned a pair. I have a couple pair of Sam Edelman shoes, and I have always had good experiences with them.


3 comments:

  1. i just discovered your blog.
    So fun to read you live in oslo.I live in heidelberg germany and get my jcrew shipped to me,yeah!
    Please stop by my blog too!

    ina-wonderland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ina! Thanks for stopping by! It's so good to know that there are others in Europe that are staying true to our obsession to J.Crew even with the Atlantic separating us. I haven't tried their international shipping yet because the customs fees in Norway would seriously break my bank. I am still ordering things to be sent to my parents and picking them up when I am back in the US. I will be following your blog :o). I am also a petite. Do you find it hard to find clothes that fit while living in a country where most people are at least a head taller?

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by my blog,i follow you too.

      You should try the international shipping,because if you sign up as a insider youf get free shipping and no duties. check it out! i signed up and if i order it only takes like 4-5 days and i have my package.
      Just today i got two tippis!
      I totally have problems finding clothes in germany.
      First of all it is super expensive(if you buy nicer quality),second the variety is small,third since i am petite i have to hunt down xs from a few brands that fit.
      I am so glad jcrew finally ships globally:).

      Delete